Distinguished Sites Banner
Rocky the Ram gets escorted out by her security guards.
Rammy's Return to Honor Teachers
Tyler Hannon, Staff Writer • May 14, 2024
News to Know graphic.
Senior Say Farewell
TyLynn Taylor, Staff Writer • May 14, 2024

(812) 723-3905

House Becomes a Home

Open House Scheduled for May 15 for PHS Family
Olivia McSpadden
A view of the Cheery Street house, soon to be the home of the Phillips family.

As the construction of the Orange County Habitat for Humanity house comes to an end, senior Harleigh Poe, sophomore Abby Poe, their younger sisters Lynlie and Maggie Phillips, and their mom Elizabeth Phillips,
eagerly await the completion of their new home.

After applying in November of 2022, the family found out they had been selected in March of 2023. The groundbreaking for the home took place in July of 2023, and the family has spent countless hours helping the Habitat for Humanity staff turn their house on Cherry Street into a home.

During the process, the family has had a lot of fun planning all the details of their home and has invested their extra time through volunteer hours. These hours have consisted of cleaning, painting the house, helping with blown insulation in the attic, and landscaping. Although these tasks have been time consuming, the family has found excitement in planning even the smallest details of their home.

“My favorite part, but also the most tedious, was picking out all the details, from cabinets and flooring to drawer pulls and window treatments,” said Elizabeth Phillips.

Although the family’s move-in day is still tentative, it will not take place until after the dedication day and Open House.

Throughout the building of their new home, not only has Jon Shellenberger’s Construction Trades program turned this process into a learning experience, but the family has taken this opportunity to learn so as well.

“I’ve learned that there is a lot of hard work that goes into turning a house into a home,” said Phillips.

As the family prepares to move into their new home, they would like to give a huge thank you to the Orange County Habitat for Humanity board and staff, Nathan Daugherty, and Jon Shellenberger for all their hard work. They also would like to thank the students from the Lost River Career Cooperative building and trades program, and all of their family and volunteers who have worked next to them throughout the process.

In order to promote and commemorate the construction of the home, an Open House has been scheduled by the Habitat For Humanity for May 15, from 5 to 7 p.m. at the house on Cherry Street. The event will include refreshments, followed by a tour of the home and a meeting of the staff, volunteers, and partners that helped to finish the project. After the tour, a dedication ceremony will be held to recognize the LRCC students who helped to construct the house. The event will end with a closing ceremony congratulating Elizabeth and her children for now taking ownership of their new home. Anyone interested in attending is welcome.