(812) 723-3905

Thorlton’s Life Changing News

When a girl gets pregnant in high school, her life changes drastically. They not only have themselves to take care of, but another living, breathing creature. They have to get food, clothes, blankets and diapers for the baby, which cost a lot of money. Some girls drop out of school and never get a good job or an education to support their baby, but not senior Mariah Thorlton.

“My family and friends were both shocked. My parents were upset at first, but in the end they were excited because they knew Jeffrey and I (his dad) could do it and be great parents,” said Thorlton.

Most people know that it takes a lot of time and money to have a baby.

“We made a list of what we needed, and started planning before Josiah came so we weren’t unprepared,” said Thorlton. “Blankets, clothes, bottles and other essentials; we stared buying right away.”

Since Thorlton was just in the fall of her junior year when she got pregnant, she still had to come to school and face the reaction of her pregnancy.

“Most people at school were shocked that I was pregnant. Some people didn’t even know I was pregnant until about five months in,” said Thorlton.

It is important to have plenty of support from family and friends when a girl becomes a teenage mother.

“My family and friends are very supportive of us, and they try to help out whenever the can,” said Thorlton.

As with any mom excepting a baby, Thorlton’s life changed dramatically.

“I have to make sure Josiah’s needs come first. When he goes someplace new, I have the make sure that it’s a good and healthy environment. Jeffery works to support us,” said Thorlton.

Thorlton’s future plans have also altered a bit.

“I’m graduating mid-term so I can spend more time with Josiah. I’m also registered to start at Ivy Tech in January for culinary arts,” said Thorlton.

Having a baby is a major event in life, and Thorlton is no exception. She still takes care of him and herself, and comes to school. Unlike most teenage mothers, she is planning on getting a good education and job to support her family. Thorlton is one of the few who break through the stereotypes of teenage mothers.

ThorltonM_BW

Story by Emma Walker