Quality Winners

Construction Class Awarded at ROI

Courtesy Photo

Members of the construction class pose after being awarded the Quality of Place Innovation Award by Regional Opportunities Initiative. Pictured with award representatives are (from left) Construction Teacher Jon Shellenberger, Luke Oldham, Jareth Nunez, William Baker, Ashton Jones, Isaiah Apple, William Bottoms and Luke Baxter.

The Lost River Career Co-op Construction class was awarded The Quality of Place Innovation Award by Regional Opportunities Initiative (ROI) on April 13 at the French Lick Resort. The program partnered with the Paoli Housing Taskforce during the 2021-22 school year to address the lack of housing in Paoli.

Construction Teacher Jon Shellenberger worked alongside the students when building the houses.

“It was a great experience to partner with the Taskforce and was an honor to receive this award. It was a perfect set up where the class got a building project to work on and students also gained a sense of community involvement through partnering with the efforts of the Housing Taskforce,” said Shellenberger.

The Paoli Housing Taskforce covered the cost of building materials and supplies for the construction class.

Senior William Bottoms is one student currently working in the program.

“It’s gratifying to see the foundation of the house, and at the end of the school year see a house built by you. There’s a lot of work put into the house to make it what it is. Knowing I have something to do with it is nice,” said Bottoms.

The students are currently working on the seventeenth home which is located on Sandy Hook Road. The home will go to Deborah Brand.

The home will soon be completed and the open house will be one evening during the last week of school.