(812) 723-3905

Finals, A Thing Of The Past

Final Exam Policy Changes for Some Students
Curtsy
Will students use the new policy or just ignore it

Final exams may be a thing of the past for some students. The administrators met in January to discuss ways to decrease discipline referrals and increase test scores and attendance. The administration and teachers developed an updated final exam policy that exempts some students from taking final exams. 

The policy gives students the choice to take finals. The administration and teachers wanted to reward good behavior and attendance of students. The administrators wanted to give students something to work towards. The school has used a similar policy in the past, and they hope bringing the policy back could improve student behavior overall.

“If a student makes better decisions with regards to better behavior, completing work that is needed, and if students show discipline with their attendance, then that is a win for everyone,” said Wagner.

Some of the requirements for the finals policy are achieving a course grade of 70 or above for both nine weeks in the semester, and no more than four absences during the semester towards the attendance goal. The policy does not apply to courses taken for dual credit, which still require final exams. Even if students meet all of the requirements, they can still choose to take the finals as a chance to improve their grades.