(812) 723-3905

Dance Feature: Lee’s Love for Dance

Senior Renee Lee has had a long life experience with dancing. Jean-Marie Dance Studio in Vincennes is where all the magic happens for Lee. She has been dancing there ever since she was in eighth grade. Lee has been dancing different styles of the sport ever since she was two years old.

“When I was little and starting off, I did pom and jazz. Now I do jazz, lyrical, ballet, pointe, hip hop, contemporary, etc. I would think that I am the best at jazz, I love lyrical, and I have a love-hate relationship with pointe,” said Lee.

Not only has Lee danced at a different studio, Lee has participated on the PHS dance team for two years. There, she could dance her favorite style while still supporting her school. Lee explained that she learned some lessons while being on the PHS dance team.

“It really taught me how to stand up and be a leader when I became team captain. It showed me how to spend my time responsibly, being able to balance school work, the team, and my studio without going crazy,” stated Lee.

As Lee is coming closer to the end of her time at high school, she’s started to think about what she’s going to do with dance afterwards. Lee stated that she would be interested in trying out for her college dance team. However, Lee explained that she would rather find a studio near her college to contribute to.

“I am hoping that when I graduate high school I will find a good studio near my college. I have thought about college dance but I have found that I love the studio a little bit more because it has more of a variety and I love all the different classes I can take,” stated Lee.

In all of Lee’s time dancing she has gotten awards such as constructive criticism, attendance and has been a captain for the PHS dance team.

“I was team captain my Junior year. At my studio we have this fun sleepover party where we get awards. I got best attendance (94% to be exact) and constructive criticism,” said Lee.

Lee gave the impression that it’s not going to be an easy thing to give up anytime soon.

“When I was young I did dance because it was fun. When I got older and the technique got harder, I realized it was much more than fun. It was challenging, exciting, and scary (I mean, in pointe you put all of your weight on your big toe on a box for crying out loud). It taught me so much and I love everyone that has been able to teach me and make me better. I am very thankful for them. I’ll stop dancing when my hips finally pop out of place.”

Story by Sara Kesterson